I'm still trying to figure out how I want to format these blog posts/monthly newsletters and so far I'm liking the roundup idea around a specific theme - a curated list of resources that help me get through life and maybe they'll help you, too?
February is a dreary, cold month...but luckily capitalism gave us VALENTINE'S DAY! REJOICE! That means I also associate February with cozy, nesting, love vibes. And I'm not only talking about romantic love vibes, but all the Love vibes - self love, creative love, activist love, movement love, art love, giving love. So with that...here's this month's roundup.
How to survive Valentine's Day & a few other things to get you through February:
- Depth year goes deeper. Last month I wrote you about how to soothe your stress in January, and I've dug even deeper into the Depth Year philosophy as an alternative to making resolutions (I don't like those). If you haven't read about the depth year, I urge you to! It is seriously changing my life. Here is David's follow up article on why he thinks his Depth Year article was such an unexpected success and another excellent parable about mining diamonds/investing in what you've already got.
- Take it from a sex therapist. I spent a good chunk of January reading, writing, and talking about the Aziz scandal and how it relates to the #metoo and #timesup movement. I even wrote an article here for LooseLips Mag for anyone feeling confused about what to think and feel about the whole thing. But you should also read these lessons from a senior sex therapist on what we can learn from the Aziz tell-all date.
- Relationship advice from women. OKREAL is a beautifully designed and curated platform of "women's wisdom for a life of fulfillment." I'm obsessed with the design, the language, the mission, and the content. This Real Relationship Tips article was a great read.
- Therapy!!! Have you ever wondered what happens behind closed doors in a couple's therapy session? Wonder no more. Esther Perel is a relationship therapist and last year released a 10-episode series called Where Should We Begin? You won't feel so alone after listening in on these real life therapy sessions with real life couple's - seriously the most illuminating listens.
- Listen for comfort. Listen to Modern Love: The Podcast's 100th episode and hear how listeners were impacted by different stories throughout the year.
6. Four meaningful gifts I'd actually love to get or give this V-Day. The way I deal with Valentine's Day is by making it totally my own. Maybe you want to buy a cute thing and feel good about it? I suggest these:
- thefive15 Believe Women pins,
- advocacy totes by NorBlack NorWhite,
- hot dog greeting cards by Ciele Beau (yes, you read that correctly),
- an Intimate Portrait Session with me. As a photographer I work with so many women who book portrait sessions because they want to see themselves newly or transform a part of their self-image. To celebrate V-Day in a unique way I've teamed up with an amazing team in Ottawa to offer women an experience they'll be able to cherish forever: Intimate Portrait Session at a beautiful contemporary hotel downtown. Each session includes natural hair and makeup, a 30-minute private portrait session with me, custom floral bouquets, and a high resolution image gallery. Honour yourself or gift this to a woman you love: Book your session now and experience some self-love this V-Day. Booking closes February 9.
I’ve been trying to find the right words to thank you for our photo shoot. I think it was the start of something for me. With everything happening in politics, entertainment and sport, it’s been intense, overwhelming, heartbreaking and empowering all at once. I look back on these photos and I'm reminded that I am so much more than my looks. And all of the times I’ve been told 'good thing you’re pretty' are now fuel for change. THANK YOU. - Jennifer Northrup, Dec 2017